Tuesday 9 April 2013

Memory and New Interaction


When thinking about memory, media time and perception I found myself thinking about these elements in relation to meta-communication and the extended mind thesis. Wikipedia states, 'The EMT (extended mind thesis) that some objects in the external environment are utilised by the mind in such a way that objects can be seen as extensions of the mind itself' (The Extended Mind 2013). When thinking about this in relation to my iPhone I found an interplay with meta-communications as new forms of social interactions and communication are formed thorough the electronic interface in regards to time and interaction. I also found that the idea of living within the 'past-future' was greatly heightened by these interactions and further destroyed the notion of ever being able to consciously live within the present. 
Lets look at this through the iPhone and, furthermore, through its Facebook application. One user uploads a status or, for more direct purposes, posts a comment on my wall. Where does the 'present' for that interaction exist? Does it exist within the first users mind when they generated the original thought? does exist the moment he clicks 'send', or, does it exist in its completion, when I receive it and process it? Personally, I believe this new form of interaction, this electronic landscape, completely obliterates any form of present. It does not exist. The sender of the post lives within both past and future, having created an interaction of both time frames. Just as the receiver also lives in both. The simple fact of a millisecond delay between the time it takes to bounce off a satellite and be received on my device is enough to assure that such interactions cannot ever have a present. This also means that there, fundamentally, could be no real interaction as no direct contact ever takes place, unless, however, we think about the iPhone or Facebook application in terms of EMT. Being that my iPhone is an extension of my mind, it contains all my memories and interactions. Through this electronic landscape, my iPhone is as much myself as I am, in fact, possibly more so. 
I hope I have formulated some logical thought process in this blog post and not confused an already somewhat abstract idea even further.  

No comments:

Post a Comment